- Manufacturing facilities in 8 countries across 3 continents
- Production capacity of 2.1 million tons of calcined petroleum coke
- Production capacity of 4.0 million tons per annum of cement
- Production Capacity of 1.5 million ton of tar Distillation
- Production Capacity of 0.3 million ton of specialty chemicals
- Over 2400 professionals
RAIN produces 0.3 million tons of specialty chemicals per annum, which account for over 18% of RAIN’s consolidated turnover. Its products have applications ranging from rubber tires to printing inks, and from concrete to pharmaceutical products.
RAIN produces chemicals in two parallel production processes:
RAIN’s chemicals business is classified into three sub-categories.
Resins and modifiers
RAIN manufactures hydrocarbon resins based on coal tar distillates produced during the downstream refining of carboindene. Modifiers are produced from the downstream refining of naphthalene and from other inputs procured externally.
Coal tar-based resins are used primarily for applications in coatings, rubber tires while petrochemical-based resins are used primarily for applications in adhesives and printing inks. RAIN produces surface modifiers that are used for coating industrial floors, cable joints and water-based adhesives.
RAIN manufactures aromatic chemicals from the downstream refining of carbolic oil and from coal tar distillation. Carboindene is produced from further downstream refining of carbolic oil. The aromatic chemical products are used as precursors for several end-user products. RAIN manufactures two main categories of aromatic chemical products: phenolics and carbozole products.
RAIN produces specialty polymers called superplasticizers from the downstream refining, polymerization and purification of naphthalene oil and naphthalene. Superplasticizers are used as in-process aids in the manufacture of concrete and gypsum wall boards, and have widespread use for a variety of industrial and agricultural applications.
RAIN also produces a wide range of differentiated naphthalene and melamine superplasticizers in liquid and powder form, as well as carboxylate dispersants in liquid form.
The details of facilities at various locations are given below:
|Uithoorn, The Netherlands||
Innovating the future
The research and development division of RAIN constantly focuses on optimizing product mix and conversion costs. RAIN’s customized production and strong R&D focus helps it to create products to match customer requirements and specifications.
A dedicated product development and applications team works closely with clients to tailor the quality and grade of resins and modifiers to meet specific application needs. RAIN has successfully launched several innovative products developed by its in-house product development and application division such as:
- Coal tar-based resins for rubber tire applications in electric cars.
- Colorless water-white resins for use in color-sensitive adhesive applications such as tape and book bindings.
- A new generation of eco-friendly resins, with water-miscibility, to be used in waterborne coatings and adhesive formulations with reduced volatile organic emissions.